Friday, November 18, 2011

Beefsteak Tomato with Goat Cheese & Arugula Salad

Beefsteak Tomato with Goat Cheese and Arugula Salad

So I will admit it, I have a bit of a crush on Michael Chiarello.  I love his lifestyle, I mean really, who wouldn't want to live in the beautiful wine country?  I love his entertaining, and I want to be invited to one of those fabulous alfresco dinners and of course, I LOVE his food!  

This is one of his recipes that I tweaked a bit based on my ingredients I had on hand.  It was a great success and we agreed we could just skip the rest of the meal (that was before they ate my cedar plank salmon, coming in a post soon!).

Beefsteak Tomato with Goat Cheese and Arugula Salad, adapted from Michael Chiarello
The Chef In My Head
4 servings

1/2 C Panko bread crumbs
Salt and freshly ground pepper
1/2 tsp water
1 egg
4 rounds fresh goat cheese, about 2 ounces each
4 thick, ripe beefsteak tomato slices
2 tsp extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for the salad
2 C arugula
Red wine vinegar

In a small, shallow bowl, mix the panko breadcrumbs with the salt and pepper to taste.  Add the water and work it in with your fingers to moisten the crumbs lightly.  In another small, shallow bowl, beat the egg just until blended.

Dip one flat surface of each goat cheese round in the egg, and then in the breadcrumbs, patting the crumbs in place.  Repeat on the other flat surface.  Refrigerate the coated cheese rounds for about 15 minutes.

Center the tomato slices on 4 salad plates. Season with salt and pepper.

Heat a large nonstick skillet over moderately high heat.  Add the 2 tablespoons olive oil.  When the oil is almost smoking, add the cheese rounds.  Cook until lightly browned, about 45 seconds, then turn and cook until the cheese just feels quivery, about 45 seconds longer.  Place a cheese round on each tomato slice.

In a bowl, toss the arugula with a splash of red wine vinegar, and light drizzle of olive oil, and salt and pepper to taste.  Mound the arugula on top of the cheese, dividing them evenly.  Serve immediately.

Delicious!!  The warmth of the goat cheese, the cool of the tomato and the slightly bitter taste and crispness of the arugula.  Oh My!


post signature

Print this Recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you stopped by and I can't wait to read your comments. I will stop by your blog shortly!