Sunday, January 2, 2011

Fresh Vegetable Soup & New Year's Resolutions

Back on task!!  I must say this ten times a day.  Yesterday I joined Weight Watchers, yes my cooking is getting the best of me or should I say is giving me the worst of me.  I have a few to lose, not many but enough to make my clothes perfectly comfortable and to make me feel better about myself.   I decided WW could help me cook a bit more friendly to the old waist line.  Sweets have never been my downfall, I'm not even wild about chocolate, it's those damn cream sauces.  I love them to distraction and there has to be a way to lighten them up so I can still enjoy them.  No cream sauces in my Veggie Soup, well of course not, but I love a full flavored soup.  So here goes...

Fresh Vegetable Soup

Fresh Vegetable Soup adapted from where else?  Weight Watchers

2 cloves garlic, minced
1 medium onion, diced
2 medium carrots, diced
1 medium sweet red pepper, diced
1 stalk celery, diced
2 small zucchini, diced
2 C. Swiss chard, chopped
2 C. cauliflower, small florets
2 C. broccoli, small florets
2 T. fresh thyme, chopped
2 T fresh parsley, chopped
3 green onions, chopped
salt & pepper, to taste
1 tsp. Tony's seasoning
juice of one small lemon
6 C low sodium chicken broth
splash of white wineSpray a soup pot with olive oil spray.  Bring heat to medium and  add all ingredients in order listed.  Stirring as you add new ingredients. Bring to boil over high heat; reduce heat to low and simmer about 30 minutes.

NOTES: 
I know, I know the white wine was probably a violation but a splash to a soup that makes 12 servings isn't going to kill anyone.

If you like thick soups, consider pureeing this recipe in the pot with an immersion blender.

Add or leave out vegetables to suit your taste.

Save in individual servings in the freezer for a quick midday snack or dinner appetizer.

Weight Watchers says this (with my modifications, that includes the white wine addition) is still only 1 point per serving!!              Makes 12 servings.

post signature

Print this Recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you stopped by and I can't wait to read your comments. I will stop by your blog shortly!