Sunday, May 29, 2011

Fresh Applesauce in 10 Minutes!

Delicious Applesauce!

I typically buy large bags of apples and then supplement with a variety of seasonal apples such as Honey Crisp (our son Collin's favorite).  We do quite a bit of juicing vegetables with fruit for healthy drinks, a great way to get all your veggies and fruit in one drink.  Since we always have an abundance of apples I wanted to try my hand at homemade applesauce.  Thankfully, I ran across our buddy Alton Brown's 10 Minute Apple Sauce.  It appealed to me for obvious reasons; it only takes 10 minutes to cook and because I could do it in the microwave.  It's 100 degrees outside, no need to make it hot inside too.

Alton's recipe called for cognac or brandy.  I had Pomegranate Liquor on hand and loved the idea of combining it with the fresh apple flavor.  It was spot on and delicious!  Super fast applesauce, served hot or chilled for later use!

Fresh Applesauce in 10 Minutes!  adapted from Alton Brown
The Chef In My Head

Serves 1 quart

3  large Golden Delicious apples, peeled, cored, and quartered
3 large Honey Crisp apples, peeled, cored, and quartered
1 C unfiltered apple juice
2 T Pomegranate Liquor
2 T unsalted butter
3 T Honey
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon

In a sealable microwave-safe container, combine apples with all other ingredients.  Close lid, leaving one corner of lid open to allow steam to escape.  Microwave on high for 10 minutes.

Using a hand blender or potato masher, blend to desired consistency.  Serve hot immediately or chill for later use.

post signature

Print this Recipe

6 comments:

  1. I usually use the crockpot but the microwave is a good idea. Love the addition of the pomegranate liqueur in it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like making applesauce...good healthy stuff for snacks, to put in banana bread. Nice post :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. yum ! I could do with a large dollop of this right now! I've eaten all of the jar you gave me Leslie...delicious!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is wonderful. I have been cooking on top of the stove, short and sweet recipes. This fits in beautifully and what is nicer than homemade applesauce.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is nothing better that homemade applesauce~makes me think of the good old days at home when my mom made it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful idea, Leslie! I will have to try this soon, since I have never tried making my own apple sauce. I remember when I was younger my mother used to make homemade apple sauce all the time. This post has brought back many happy fond memories.
    Blessings, Your friend Catherine~

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you stopped by and I can't wait to read your comments. I will stop by your blog shortly!