Tuesday, October 6, 2009

And POOF another dream up in smoke.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB125478578537966053.html?mod=dist_smartbrief

Sadly, today I learned Gourmet Magazine will cease publication.  There goes the dream of being a featured Chef one day.  Now, of course, just in my head.  And yes, I do have someone to blame - Ruth Reichl.  She should have left the magazine as it once was instead of catering only to the creme of the creme.  It's the older issues I still refer back to.  Case in point, the two colored soup, Circa 1993.  The magazine blames the internet food-related sites.  As if it was us(I'm sure they meant me right? And you!)  Who's counting the number of subscriptions they sell anyway?  I demand a re-count!  I've been subscribing to it since I was 20 years old, and I'm 45 now, and I'm willing to bet a bunch of you have too.  How about they just send her off to Conde Nast, Travel and Leisure, or some other off the chart high-end travel magazine and put our Gourmet Magazine back like it was!!  Wasn't it supposed to really be about food anyway?



Print this Recipe

3 comments:

  1. Hi, Leslie. I, too, loved Gourmet and will really miss it. I don't think that Ruth was the problem, however. I think it's this economy.
    Gourmet never made money from its subscribers. It made money from its advertisers. Advertisers have cut way, way back. Some of my favorite cooking contests have gone belly up because they can't find sponsors. Bon Appetit cost less money to publish than Gourmet and it will survive a bit longer. But I think it, too, is in trouble.
    Selfishly, I'm so glad it was there when I was learning how to cook and entertain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Cheff In My HeadOctober 6, 2009 at 2:31 PM

    Dear Mary,
    I too am glad to still have Bon Appetite. I am also trying Saveur for awhile. Any other ideas? Gourmet is hard to beat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also loved Gourmet. It's sad to see it go. Geri

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you stopped by and I can't wait to read your comments. I will stop by your blog shortly!