Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Lime Angel Food Cake with Lime Glaze and Pistachios

Finely grated lime peel, a tangy lime glaze, and crunchy pistachios brighten up this old favorite!!
Topping firms up perfectly, not too hard.
Would you like a piece?

Coffee or tea with that?

Those of you that know me well, I want  you to know I FOLLOWED THE DIRECTIONS AND DIDN'T IMPROVISE!!  It was difficult, but I controlled myself.  I WILL learn how to bake!  It's all that precise measuring that just brings me down.  I confess, the result was well worth it!  My husband even commented that I was getting a grip on the baking thing.  Poor man has endured some really crappy cake failures, with a smile :-)  Now that's true love!

Lime Angel Food Cake with Lime Glaze and Pistachio Bon appetite, April 2010

CAKE:
1 C. cake flour
1-1/2 C. superfine sugar, divided
1/4 tsp. salt
10 large egg whites, room temperature
2 tsp. finely grated lime peel
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 tsp. cream of tartar

LIME SYRUP AND LIME GLAZE:
1/2 C. sugar
4 T. fresh lime juice, divided
1/2 C. unsalted raw pistachios, finely chopped in food processor
1/2 C. powdered sugar

SPECIAL EQUIPMENT:
10-inch diameter angel food cake pan with 4-inch high sides and removable bottom (do not use nonstick pan)

CAKE: Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 350 degrees. Sift flour, 1/2 cup superfine sugar, and salt into medium bowl; repeat sifting 3 times.  Using electric mixer, beat egg whites, lime peel, and vanilla on medium speed in large bowl until frothy (mixture may turn neon green but color will change when remaining ingredients are added).  Add cream of tartar; increase speed to high and beat until soft peaks form.  Gradually add remaining 1 cup sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, beating until stiff peaks form.  Sprinkle 1/3 of flour mixture over whites and gently fold in until incorporated.  Fold in remaining flour mixture in 2 more additions just until incorporated.
Transfer to ungreased 10-inch angel food cake pan with 4-inch high sides and removable bottom (do not use nonstick pan); smooth top.
Bake cake until pale golden and tester inserted near center comes out clean, about 38 minutes.  Immediately invert cake onto work surface if pan has feet, or invert cake center tube of pan onto neck of bottle or metal funnel and cool cake completely.
Using long thin knife, cut around cake sides and center tube to loosen.  Lift out center tube with cake still attached; run knife between cake and bottom of pan to loosen.  Invert cake onto rack, then turn cake over, rounded side up.  Set rack with cake atop rimmed baking sheet.
LIME SYRUP AND LIME GLAZE:
Combine sugar and 3 tablespoons lime juice in small saucepan; stir over medium heat until sugar dissolves.  Brush syrup all over top and sides of cake.  Immediately press pistachios onto top and sides of cake, pressing to adhere.
Stir powdered sugar with remaining 1 tablespoon lime juice in small bowl until smooth.  Drizzle glaze over top of cake.  Let stand until glaze sets, about 10 minutes.
DO AHEAD:
Cake can be made up to 1 day ahead.  Cover with cake dome and store at room temperature.
Transfer cake to platter; cut into wedges and serve.
ADDITIONAL NOTE:  I could not find superfine sugar, so I gave my regular sugar a nice long whirl in the handy dandy super amazing food processor.
Enjoy!

post signature

Print this Recipe

22 comments:

  1. Wow! This looks so good. I love lime and pistachios. I'll for sure print this off for a future date. I'm not making too many desserts these days but there ARE always those occasions, (excuses) for a delicious dessert!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooh.. yum!! i need that slice right now.. what a great way to wake up looking at all that drippy lime'y goodness!!congrats on all that precise measuring.. it looks fab!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds terrific with lime flavor and pistachios!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a gorgeous cake! I love the lime and pistachio flavors. I just dropped by to see what the BSI ingredient was for this week and couldn't resist stopping to check out this Spring-like cake!

    ReplyDelete
  5. One of my friend love to put pistachio in most of her desserts. Your look SO good! I want one right now :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Un gâteau des anges magnifique.
    Cela fait un moment que je le rencontre mais je ne l'ai toujours pas fait.
    BRAVO!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. No butter? really? Why exactly haven't I made this cake yet?

    It looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh MY! I love this combination! This looks way yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yum - this looks awesome and delicious! I saw this cake in my copy of BA and was instantly drawn to it. What a fun and unique cake.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooooh, this cake looks super yummy! I love the way you've prepared the glaze!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hullo Leslie ,am having a prob with my comp and did trying leaving u a note on ur delicous beet goat cheese layered napoleans ....super

    and this cake is real good too ...love that lemon glaze so so so muc...and the perfect pairing with pistas ...u rock ...

    i did email u my email id ,did u get ,am still excitedly waitin for my suprise :-))))

    vanillastrawberryspringfields@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. hullo Leslie ,this is a super cake ...love how the leomony tang pairs so beautifully with the pistas...gorgeous .......
    And love the texture of the cake too!!!

    My laptop is a little nigged at the moment ,have left u messages on ur prev delicious beets and goat cheese beauties, with my email too coz am excitedly waiting for the suprise :-))))

    Had send ya an email from my id too but incase u didn get it here goes
    vanillastrawberryspringfields@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! Your angel food cake looks so lofty and magnificent. I like the tangy sweet glaze you drizzled over it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Coffee please! Your cake would be so great with a cup! It looks delicious and I love pistachios!

    ReplyDelete
  15. wow that is one gorgeous cake, looks sooooo yummmmmy!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Meraviglioso questo angel food cake, mi segno la tua ricetta. Ciao :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Um, pretty sure that is insulin worthy! And while I did have goat cheese stuffed zucchini for dinner last night, I am still working on my BSI this week - baked goat cheese crostini's with proscuitto and balasamic glaze! :D

    I'll email you when I post it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. It looks lovely,.....I love the flavours and the sotness of the cake! Superb effort

    ReplyDelete
  19. looks beautiful and delicious. wondering if a key lime variation might be in order, too

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a professional looking cake! So high and light! Angelic almost!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I must admit I'm a total cake addict. The use of limes with angel food sounds heavenly, and it looks glorious, too!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love pistachios! And I love that this cake is smothered in them!

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you stopped by and I can't wait to read your comments. I will stop by your blog shortly!