Thursday, May 13, 2010

The Peeps



The Peeps

So this is so very bizarre ~ I actually own 5 chickens, well just babies for now!!  Me, from Houston, all city-fied, too strange.  Remember the Spaghetti alla Carbonara that I flipped over because the taste was so amazing? I made it from fresh free range chicken eggs from my friend Helen?  Well that did it!  I had to have chickens so I could have those fabulous eggs.  Somehow, I'm sure with a little help from above, my wonderful loving husband said "Yes"!  Monday, we made the big trip to Home Depot and bought all the lumber, chicken wire (now I know why they call it that), screws, roofing materials, etc. everything it takes to make the  Cadillac of chicken coops!!  By Monday evening it was over half-way constructed.  Jess is fast and it was looking beautiful.  Tuesday we started early in the morning, then had to leave early to go to the parental units place of abode.  Wednesday morning we left for Fredericksburg for some work Jess needed to do and later that afternoon we drove to a small farm in Harper, Texas.  I have NEVER seen so many chickens!  Little baby day old chicks on up to the full grown ones.  One of which happen to lay an egg while we were there, she was VERY proud of herself, clucking like crazy "look what I did!", well I'm sure that's what she said.  So we picked out my new chickens ~ 5 weeks old ~precious!!  3 Red Stars and 2 Araucanas.  I'm a chicken farmers now!!  We  arrived home yesterday evening and Jess finished the new chicken coop. 
Chicken Condo, unfinished
This is unfinished, from the second day.  I'll get better pics later.  So now we need names!  Our neighbors' son has named the white one "Velma".  The rest still need names.  My sister and brother in law came up with "Cutlet" and "Marsala" and later added "Mother Clucker".  So you can see we could use a little help with names.  Any ideas???

Todd checking out the chicks

So now we wait for eggs.......... Hopefully, we will have some by September.  Total costs so far:  Chicken Coop approx $450.00, feeders & feed $85.00, chicks $25.00.  How much are a dozen eggs at the store?  I don't even want to know.
Cute, right?



post signature

Print this Recipe

5 comments:

  1. They are adorable! I'm jealous that you'll have fresh eggs all the time. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too funny! Forget the cost. How fun to have your own eggs. That chicken coop looks more like a chicken co-op/condo! Awesome job! Please update us on how the chicks grow up to be good laying hens. Where I live, there are too many coyotes to risk that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh that will be so much fun to go outside and get your own fresh eggs. Perfect! I love your pup peeking through the wire...too cute.

    ReplyDelete
  4. CHICKENS!!! OMG, what is next.....Lions and Tigers and Bears...........Oh My! I am so looking forward to those delicious meals prepared with fresh eggs. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You didn't have these when we came to visit for spring break! I love chickens, I had one when I was 9, and I raised it in my backyard in Brooklyn. I think they make great pets, I'm sure Todd is doing a great job guarding all these chickens from stray cats :) (mine got kidnapped by strays in the neighborhood one time, true story. But I found it, and he was safe from then on)

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you stopped by and I can't wait to read your comments. I will stop by your blog shortly!