Saturday, January 4, 2014

Healthy Power Bars

Healthy Power Bars

I searched everywhere to find a healthy bar I could grab on the go.  They either had ingredients I have never heard of, which means I don't eat it, or peanut butter.  And I would rather shove razor blades under my fingernails that eat peanut butter.  Okay, that was a bit graphic, and I get that it makes me un-American and probably a communist, and I'm okay with that.  I will eat peanuts, Thai peanut sauce etc. but really, why squish up a perfectly good peanut and make "butter" out of it.  Enough ranting.

So on I searched for a good recipe and finally I gave up and made up my own.  I never seem to follow a recipe anyway, so no big deal.

My family is gobbling them up and loving them.  Yay, me!  I hope you enjoy them too!  So here you have it.  What to eat on hectic days when there really isn't much time to eat.  These healthy power bars are low in calories, low in fat and low in sodium.  Maybe they will keep you going and prevent you from delving into something unhealthy.

Healthy Power Bars
The Chef In My Head

1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp cardamom 
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup quick organic rolled oats
1/2 cup any flavor organic flax cereal

1/4 cup organic applesauce
3 T brown sugar
1/4 cup honey
1 well beaten egg
2 T oil

1/4 cup of chopped pecans, or walnuts
1/4 cup sunflower seeds
1 cup dried berries, your choice
1/3 cup goji berries
1/4 cup chia seeds

Line a square 8 X 8 baking pan with aluminum foil, spray lightly with cooking spray.  Preheat oven to 325 degrees.

In a medium bowl, combine cinnamon, cardamom, flour, oats and cereal.  Add to this the applesauce, brown sugar, honey, egg and oil.  Combine well.  Add to this the nuts, sunflower seeds, dried berries, goji berries and chia seeds.

Transfer mixture to prepared baking pan.  Smooth top with the back of a spoon.  Bake in oven for about 30 minutes, watch for too much browning.  Remove from oven, allow to cool and lift the bars with the foil and cut into pieces.

Put bars into individual snack sized baggies and refrigerate.  

Grab and go!!






post signature

Print this Recipe

1 comment:

  1. I've been looking for a good granola bar recipe to try! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you stopped by and I can't wait to read your comments. I will stop by your blog shortly!