Sunday, October 4, 2009

Two Color Soup and Stuffed Pork Chops with 3 Sauces

This will teach me to skip a couple of days, too much to catch up. 

Friday evening was a dinner party in honor of my friend's birthday.  Love you Tracy, you're the best!!!

Roasted Yellow Pepper Soup and Roasted Tomato Soup with Serrano Cream

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Roasted-Yellow-Pepper-Soup-and-Roasted-Tomato-Soup-with-Serrano-Cream-11554


I have made this elegant soup for years, it is our favoite and I really wish I could take credit for the creation of it.  It came from Gourmet Magazine, March 1993 issue (link above).  I have only made slight changes over the years.  I use fresh thyme, not dried and add a dash of cayenne in the pepper soup and I add a splash of cognac to both soups.  This soup was my excuse to purchase two matching All Clad pots and my very own Chinois. The matching pots I bought after major struggling to get the two soups the same consistancy(I can justify just about anything for my kitchen).  Important when it comes time to ladle the soups in the bowl at the same time, to get it to split down the middle.




The Chinois.

It is a conical sieve with an extremely fine mesh. It is used to strain custards, purees, soups, and sauces, producing a very smooth texture. It can also be used to dust pastry with a fine layer of powdered sugar.

I love this thing!

I had my butcher cut bone in pork chops 1 1/2" thick.  I cut a pocket in each of them and stuffed them with spicey sausage.  I use our HEB brand sausage but you can use Jimmy Dean Hot sausage.  The outside of the chops are dried and rubbed with cayenne.  I refrigerate them until about 45 minutes before I begin to saute them.  The three sauces were a Dark Cherry Sauce, Orange Marmelade and Apple Chutney.  With this I also served Asparagus with Hollandaise and Roasted Fingerling Potatoes.




Cherry Preserve Sauce
12 oz jar Cherry Preserves
2 Tbl. light corn syrup
1/4 C Pomegranate infused Red Wine Vinegar
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
1/4 tsp ground cloves

Combine all ingredients in a small saucepan. Heat to boiling, stiring constantly.  Reduce heat and simmer 2 minutes.  Keep sauce warm. Note: You can also use this sauce spooned over a pork lion roast to glaze, bake and serve the remaining on the side.

Orange Marmelade Sauce

12 oz. jar Orange Marmelade (good quality)
2 - 2 Tbl Hot Dijon Mustard, to taste

Heat to boiling, stiring constantly.  Reduce heat and simmer 2 minutes.  Keep sauce warm.

Apple Chutney

3 Tbl. butter
3 cooking Apples, peeled, seeded and cut into 1/2 wedges
1 3-inch cinnamon stick or 1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 C dried cranberries
1/4 C. Rum
1/4 C. Apple Cider (I like Woodchuck Draft Cider, Amber)

Heat butter in saute pan to med-high heat, add apples and cinnamon.  Saute until soft with a little bite left in them.  Deglaze pan with Rum and add cranberries.  Add apple cider and simmer for about 10 minutes.  Cook until the apples are the softness that you like.  Keep Warm.

For the chops, heat 2 Tbl. olive oil in large pan on high heat, saute chops on both sides until brown.  Move to pan with roasting rack, cover with foil, and bake at 350 degrees until medium rare.  Let chops rest for about 10 minutes and serve with sauces.

Our evening was a fantastic success!  Luckily we had good weather so we set the table and ate outside and enjoyed delicious wine and each other's company until late in the evening.  We are planning Paella sometime before it gets too cold, just waiting for the lobster to go on sale!

Print this Recipe

3 comments:

  1. Awesome post! I know that word is overused these days, but that is what is needed here. Thanks for sharing these. See you at Crock Pot Wednesday, I hope.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for posting these. I just realized that you had already linked them. They are just terrific!

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you stopped by and I can't wait to read your comments. I will stop by your blog shortly!