Thursday, January 21, 2010

Roasted Chicken and Artichoke Purses

These were fun and relaxing to make, I kind of got into mindless assembly, and before I knew it, I was finished. They were delicious inside and we all liked them, a little different something to look at on your plate. I made them for our daughter and her friend to have after a tough volleyball workout (those girls can really put away the groceries!)
Chicken Purses adapted from a recipe from Giada De Laurentiis
1-1/4 C shredded roasted chicken (1 large breast roasted)
3/4 C whole milk ricotta cheese 1/2 lemon, zested 1/2 tsp chopped fresh thyme leaves 1/2 tsp grey sea salt + more for sprinkling 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper + more for sprinkling 1/2 can of whole artichoke hearts, diced 1/2 C cremini mushrooms, diced 32 small, square wonton wrappers 1 large egg, lightly beaten with 1 T water
4 T butter
1/4 C grated parmesan cheese
In a small bowl combine the chicken, ricotta cheese, lemon zest, thyme, salt, pepper, artichoke hearts and cremini mushrooms. Stir to combine
On a dry work surface place 8 wonton wrappers. Place a rounded teaspoon of the chicken mixture in the center of each wrapper. Using a pastry brush, brush the egg wash around the chicken mixture. Bring the four corners of the wonton square together over the filling to form a purse. Press the edges together tightly to form a seal. Wipe the board with a towel until dry and continue making batches of n8 with the remaining wonton skins until all of the filling is used.
Place wontons on top of lettuce leaves inside a bamboo steamer, alternately, you can boil salted water and cook for a few minutes until they float to the top. If steaming in bamboo steamer, the lettuce is used to keep the wontons from sticking to the steamer. Steam for about 4-5 minutes.
Melt butter in a medium skillet. Turn off the heat and add the cooked purses, gently toss. Transfer the purses to serving plates, sprinkle with cheese, salt & pepper. Serve immediately.

Print this Recipe

8 comments:

  1. These chicken purses are simply irresistible!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look and sound delicious. I've bookmarked these for Chinese New Year. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love artichokes and this sounds amazing, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Leslie, I'm so sorry to hear you've not been well but glad to hear you are finally on the mend. I love your recipe. I adore dumplings in all shapes and sizes and your "purses" sound delicious. Have a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great recipe - they look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad that I found out your blog from one of my local blogger.

    At first glance, I thought it was chinese dim sum, since it was from Giada, I should try making an Italian version of dumplings. Looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much for visiting y blog and leaving such a nice message on my blog-- it led me to yours. I would enjoy every recipe I've scrolled through. I just bought the Steamy Kitchen cookbook and now, I am thinking, I want a steamer. These look simple to make, and so different. I'm so glad you inspired me, today!
    Debby

    ReplyDelete
  8. Debby, I have been looking at that steamer in my pantry for years, I love it and will be using it more. Laying the letuce in the bottom is a must, serious sticking without it! Thanks for stopping by!~LeslieMichele

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you stopped by and I can't wait to read your comments. I will stop by your blog shortly!