Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Soupe A' l'oignon (French Onion Soup)

Soupe A' l'oignon

4 T butter
2 T olive oil
2 lbs onions, thinly sliced (about 7 cups)
1 tsp salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
1 T sugar
1 T balsamic vinegar
1 1/2 tsp thyme (fresh if you have it)
3 T flour
2 qts beef stock (I usually include some chicken stock)
1/4 - 1/2 C dry red wine

In a heavy 4 - 5 quart stock pot, melt the butter with the olive oil over moderate heat.  Stir in the onions, salt, pepper,sugar, balsamic vinegar and thyme.  Cook uncovered over low/med heat, stirring occasionally for 20 to 30 minutes or until the onions are a rich golden brown.  Sprinkle flour over the onions and cook, stirring, for 2 to 3 minutes.  Add the red wine to deglaze then add beef/chicken stock.  Bring the pot to a low boil then turn down to simmer for another 40 minutes (or longer).  Occasionally skim off any fat.  Taste for seasoning.

Croutes

12 - 16 one-inch thick slices of French bread (I always make more than we need to have a couple per serving)
2 tsp olive oil
1 garlic clove, cut in half
1 C grated Gruyere cheese

While the soup simmers, make the croutes.  Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.  Spread the bread slices in one layer on a baking sheet.  With a pastry brush, lightly coat both sides of each slice with olive oil.  Bake for approx 15 minutes on each side.  They should be completely dry and lightly browned.  Rub each slice with the cut garlic.  While they are still warm, top each slice of bread with shredded cheese and set aside.

To serve, place croutes in individual bowls and ladle the soup over them.

Serves 6 - 8.

I've been making this soup for at least 25 years, we all love it.  Now the kids are grown and I still make the same amount and freeze the rest.  It's even better the next day!  A great recipe to make ahead.

Bon Appetite!

Remember to skip on over for Tasty Tuesdays!  http://www.beautyandbedlam.com/

Print this Recipe

3 comments:

  1. I LOVE French Onion soup and I haven't made it in a few years. Thanks for posting this reminder of such a rich and delicious dish. I'll be making it soon :)

    Blessings!
    Gail

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to try this. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will be putting this in my recipe box. THANKS!! Geri

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you stopped by and I can't wait to read your comments. I will stop by your blog shortly!