Thursday, January 7, 2010

Oyster Stew - Christmas Eve Tradition

Deliciously rich, even non-oyster lovers like the soup itself. This recipe can easily be cut in half or doubled. This has always been a special recipe to be shared by the Christmas Tree with hot French bread and a good bottle of Champagne after the children have gone to bed to wait for Santa. 2 jars oysters, save juice & strain 6-8 green onions, chopped, green and white parts separated 6-8 mushrooms, thinly sliced 4 strips of bacon, peppered bacon if available, chopped 2 cans evaporated milk salt, pepper & cayenne pepper to taste ½ C. Champagne Saute bacon until crisp, remove and drain most of the grease. Saute white part of the onion and mushrooms until onion is translucent. Add oysters and saute just until edges curl. Add milk. Dilute with champagne and flavor with juice to taste. DO NOT BOIL. Add salt, black pepper and cayenne to taste. Serve and garnish with crumbled bacon and green onion tops. Serves 6-8

Print this Recipe

5 comments:

  1. Leslie, did you know that ths recipe came from my Mom. You just improved it and Daddy really loves it. Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds really wonderful. While I'm not a fan of oysters my husband is. I think I'll surprise him with your recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, this oyster stew sounds outstanding! Thank you for sharing such a special recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love, love, love a good oyster stew. I noted the unexpected addition of the champagne. Sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A little champagne for the soup, a little champagne for me....a little more for me :)
    Thank you for your lovely comments! ~LeslieMichele

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you stopped by and I can't wait to read your comments. I will stop by your blog shortly!