Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Escarole & Cannellini Beans with Parmesan-Hazelnut Crust

Home Run In the Kitchen!!!  This is fabulous and healthy, what a surprise!  Escarole is one of my favorite ingredients and I use it whenever I can.  The beautiful green leaves with their buttery texture is fabulous and can be used in many delicious ways.  This was no exception.  One of my other favorite ingredients, as you well know, is wine.  I believe Jesus turned water to wine for good reason and I pay this miracle homage in my kitchen almost daily.  A little for me, a little for the dish, a little more for me; you get the idea.

This is a great side dish worthy of a holiday dinner table, but it landed on ours on a regular ole Monday night.  Sticking to my healthy resolution, I served this with a light and lemony baked chicken.


Escarole & Cannellini Beans with Parmesan-Hazelnut Crust adapted from Weight Watchers

2 tsp olive oil
2 large onions, large diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 large head escarole, rinsed very well, coarsely chopped
1/4 C chicken broth
1/4 C white wine
15 oz can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp dried thyme
1/4 tsp cayenne
1/4 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/4 C freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 C dried bread crumbs, coarse-style
3 T hazelnuts, roughly chopped in food processor

Instructions:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Heat oil in Dutch oven (a large pot with tight fitting lid).  Add onion and garlic, saute until onion is translucent, about 5 minutes.  Add escarole and seasonings, saute' stirring constantly, until escarole is limp, about 1 minute; stir in broth and white wine.  Cook over high heat, stirring frequently, until escarole is tender and broth and wine evaporates, about 3 minutes; stir in beans.

Spoon escarole-mixture into a 1-1/2 quart glass baking dish.  Combine cheese, bread crumbs and hazelnuts in a small bowl.  Sprinkle over escarole mixture.  Bake until crumbs are lightly browned, about 15 minutes.

Enjoy!


post signature

Print this Recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you stopped by and I can't wait to read your comments. I will stop by your blog shortly!