Friday, March 19, 2010

Broccoli and Camembert Soup

It's Easy Being Green!
Here is my green entry to I Heart Cooking Clubs and my version of Nigella Lawson's Broccoli and Stilton Soup. Nigella, dear, I just didn't happen to have any Stilton on hand :(
Broccoli and Camembert Soup
3 T Olive Oil
6 Green Onions, finely chopped
1 clove Garlic, minced
3 sprigs of fresh Thyme, strip leaves and discard stems
3 heads of Broccoli, trimmed into small individual heads
3 C Vegetable Stock
1 12oz pkg of Camembert (or Brie) cheese, remove rind, dice large
Kosher Salt and Freshly Ground Pepper, to taste
Sauteed dices red chili or crisp bacon for garnish
Heat olive oil in heavy bottomed soup pot. Saute green onions, garlic and thyme, until onions and garlic are translucent. Add to pot the broccoli and stock and bring to boil. Reduce heat to med-low and add cheese. Stir to combine and allow to simmer for about 30 minutes. Season with Salt and Pepper. Remove from heat and blend with hand blender or food processor. Adjust seasonings. Serve with desired garnish.
Note: Since this is pretty healthy, meaning no heavy cream I would have normally added, you might want to simmer a bit longer to achieve desired consistency.

Print this Recipe

6 comments:

  1. What a great pick and substitute! Good idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a weird coincidence, I just had the broccoli soup today at a restaurant. It was so tasty I wanted to make one. Yours look really great too, I should try it out! Camembert must taste really good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmm...wonderful. I made a cauliflower soup once with Camembert and it was delicious, so I imagine this is incredible. Great pick!

    Thanks for stopping by my blog and saying hello. Do you ever get to come here and visit your daughter?

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great choice for green week at IHCC! I think your addition of Camembert sounds better than the original recipe. Camembert is such a glorious cheese. This looks and sounds fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds really great for my daughter. She loves blue cheese, and if I understand stilton is a form of a blue cheese, so I may try to surprise her with this before the weather warms up too much. Thank you for sharing. It truly fits the green choice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How could you go wrong. Great cheese for this usually cheddar and broccoli soup. Love the idea.
    Valerie

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you stopped by and I can't wait to read your comments. I will stop by your blog shortly!